I am a very recent convert to granola. I always loved oatmeal but somehow could never really like granola that much. I made this basic granola recipe one day as I thought I could take it with me as a snack for my evening classes that I am going to even if I don’t eat this for breakfast. I think the fragrance that filled the kitchen while making this one that I just couldn’t resist eating it once it was done. I made a second batch and I think its about time to make a third one too.
So, basic granola recipe has oatmeal, some nuts and / or dried fruits, sweetening agent, a touch of spice for flavor and that’s it! The beauty of it is you can customize it every time you make it. You can add more or different types of nuts and dried fruits and you can change up the sweetening agent too. I used oatmeal, peanuts, walnuts, golden raisins, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and some applesauce and honey. I used a pinch of cardamom with vanilla extract for that extra kick. Mix them all together, bake in the oven till golden brown and nice and crispy. Store in an airtight container and you are good to go!
- Old fashioned oatmeal - 1 cup
- Peanuts, Walnuts, Golden Raisins, Dried Cranberries, Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup each
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Ground Cardamom - 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Apple sauce - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Mix together all the ingredients well in a large mixing bowl.
- Spread on a baking sheet (you can line the sheet with parchment paper, I did not). Bake for 40-45 mins or so until golden brown.
- Make sure you mix it around one or two times in between, so that it doesn't stick together and to ensure that it bakes evenly.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.