This quinoa vegetable upma is one of lil V’s favorite. Lil V is a little strange that way – he like things that I wouldn’t expect him to like and he dislikes certain things that I would expect him to like. He is not the biggest fan of cheese sandwich. Now, which kid does not like anything with cheese in it, especially a cheese sandwich?!? But he loves upma. I know of many adults whose favorite thing is not upma and would easily have anything else in place of that.
I am always stumped when it comes to making breakfast for lil V. Especially with toast out of the way ( I do try that once in a while when I am desperate). One day it is dosa, another day it is pancake (which is also a hit or miss with lil V), one day it is idli and then the occassional toast. I had to succumb to making upma one day. I was pretty sure that he will not eat any and I will have to make something else for him. But surprisingly, he loved it! Probably because of the carrots and peas in it. He loves those two veggies. I am not even going down the list of the veggies he hates! phew!
This is a great filling breakfast for your little ones and even for you. I would try and add some dried red chillies when doing the tadka/seasoning so there is some spice to this, when making for adults.
- Quinoa - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups or enough to cook the quinoa
- Salt - a pinch
- Olive Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Ginger, grated - 1/4 tsp
- Red Onions, chopped - 1/4 cup
- Carrots, diced - 1/4 cup
- Green peas, frozen - 1/4 cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Ground black pepper - a pinch
- Grated Coconut, frozen - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 1 tsp - to serve with upma
- Boil the water with the salt and add the quinoa to it. Cook well. (Or cook the quinoa according to package instructions). Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the mustard seeds to it. Once they splutter, add the curry leaves and ginger. Add the onions and saute till translucent. Add the carrots, green peas, salt and black pepper and cover and cook over low heat till the vegetables soften.
- Add the cooked quinoa and the coconut and stir well.
- Serve mixed with ghee.